~SW~ Star Nuclei ~SW~ Star Nuclei

Bonus points for the ring galaxy as the song icon. :D

This song has various influences. I can hear hints of progressive rock and the spacey, morphine-induced experimental avant-gardes of the 70's, especially the German bands (Krautrock, the "rock of the roots" comes into mind). It's almost as if Liquid Tension Experiment and Pink Floyd fused together to make something as awesome as this, with the atmospheric layers caressing those lucky listeners' ears in a delicate symphony of acoustic and electronic soundscapes.

Technically, I cannot spot any relevant problems in this beauty, as the track flows very nicely and headphones are REALLY recommended for an immersive and richer experience. I can, however, point out some minor discrepancies in the mix as at some points the drums sound either too overcompressed or their reverb slightly clashes with the other instruments. The snare sound didn't actually satisfy me completely, but I realize that complaining about the very "quality" of the samples is a bit stupid and excessive.

Instrument-wise it's a clever arrangement and it does show up some technical prowess, be it live recorded or programmed - I don't care in either case, with ups and downs clashing together to form one memorable piece. I'm very glad it got frontpaged as I think it totally deserves it, and it actually restores me more faith in Newgrounders' dubious tastes, so so far so good! :D

Thanks again for your support, and as you said in your review, the experiment succeeded in delivering a great shard of your imagination.

SkyeWint responds:

Well, good afternoon, my friend! Thank you indeed for the great review!

"Bonus points for the ring galaxy as the song icon. :D"
Hell. Yes. Fitting picture is fitting.

"Where do I begin, I don't usually like minute per minute reviews so I'll just write what I honestly felt by listening to this spacey-sounding piece."
Sure thing!

"This song has various influences."
Surprisingly, there's very little influence from any specific song, group, or genre in this. I took bits and pieces of what came up in my head and fit it all together - toward the middle, the song just decided where it wanted to go.

"some minor discrepancies in the mix"
Mixing is, sadly, my biggest problem right now. I think I can get the mix to be clear overall, but I still have the issues of "crap I'm using too much reverb", etc. Compressors were barely used in this, surprisingly. The snare was the drum I compressed the most. Sorry you didn't like it. :c It was part of the drumkit.

"headphones are REALLY recommended"
Indeed, they are! I had mixed this with headphones, though it would probably also sound good on higher-quality stereo speakers.

"Instrument-wise it's a clever arrangement"
I've been around music and music theory for over 10 years at this point. ;) Composition has always been a fairly strong point for me (particularly transitions), and learning to compose in the past two years was essentially just applying concepts I had already encountered and knew.

"the experiment succeeded in delivering a great shard of your imagination."
Why thank you! :D Hope I can get some more like this to you! ^_^ The three songs I have linked in the description of this are also some of my better ones, you might like them.

-Swint-

Halindir - Hurin Halindir - Hurin

The beginning of an epic journey. I would pay you to compose the whole Skyrim soundtrack, seriously. You have the right talent to compose beautifully immersive scenarios, painting a whole world of sounds and tremendous organic acoustics.

Just listen to the fine melodies you've crafted. From the rich strings to the maelstrom of brass, to the delicacy of flutes and the pounding drums. You should just be very proud of what you've done and achieved since the first time you've stepped on the marshes of Newgrounds.

Sometimes you find flowers emanating an ethereal scent, sometimes you don't. This is definitely one of those rare flowers.
KKS

Antiskill- We Fought(Prv) Antiskill- We Fought(Prv)

Neat preview, man :) All those bouncy synths and crisp drums actually complement well to each other, as if the "talking" bass on the background was allowed to deliver his speech. I definitely look forward to hear the final version, possibly with more atmosphere and less "dryness" of themes and patterns, making my ears less sour and potentially incline in listening to new mind blowing features. XD

PS: Did I show you my song Tapping on my Desk yet? Can't remember... x_x

Thanks!
I am definitely stocked to work on this one, developing the proper bass lines and atmospheres, thanks for the tip.

PS: I did hear your track =]

Lawrence of Robotia Lawrence of Robotia

Music to invade Poland to. XD Just kidding. Everybody who loves brassfests and booming folky orchestra will also enjoy this track to death in the name of Odin. \m/
Good job, bro

DJ SH Under Water World DJ SH Under Water World

I have different visions regarding this particular atmosphere. It doesn't really evoke me a submerged world in my mind, but I have images of a forgotten land, or a dreaded structure imbued in darkness. Some people could find this soundscape meditative, safe for the sound effects popping out of nowhere. However, some subtle variance would make the experience a bit more interesting and enjoyable, as an 11 minutes track may be gargantuan in most people's eyes. Right now, the atmosphere is pretty minimalist in itself and almost texture-exclusive. Also, do you use Reason? I kind of recognize some sounds... it might be just my impression.

The Dark Castle The Dark Castle

I think there's plenty of roam for improvement here. I like the formless, dissonant dark ambiance you created, as if you're really in that nightmarish dimension witnessing morbid and surreal events. Hastening a bit the progression and adding more layers to the whole mix could possibly open new ways of approaching this kind of soundscape. In my opinion, It doesn't necessarily need a beat or rhythmic patterns, as I imagine this as some sort of opener track for something, but I feel it still lacks a bit of substance and depth.
KKS

Antiskill- Love (Trance) Antiskill- Love (Trance)

Sounds professional :D Which is why I'm reviewing this. -jk-
I like the break at 1:18, it sets a new pace and the ambiance created was a nice touch.
It's one of those pieces you are likely to sit back and relax, for its pulsating rhythm will accompany your relaxation efforts and will surely bring you positive feelings.
Good job man, looking forward to another one ^^

You pretty much described Uplifting Trance there XD
I'm really glad you think so highly of it. Also thanks a lot for the 5*.

I hope my next compositions are as good as this one, it seems like a GOOD track comes around only a few times a month/year.
Thanks for the review.

Kreacher (WIP) Kreacher (WIP)

Holy shit man :D I definitely want to hear the final version of this track! Sounds awesome even if it's just a preview.

YakovlevArt responds:

Me too man. I have a problem with intros and outros to hard dnb tracks like this though... :/
We'll wee what happens.

-Orr- Prelude -Orr- Prelude

Very charming composition, it sounds as if Final Fantasy XII took a step forward towards melody and atmosphere instead of solely relying on virtuosity and scene-dependent material. A prologue to a long journey, full of smiles and tears. Keep making cinematic tracks like this, for their depth and vastness deserve to be listened.

DavidOrr responds:

Well do -- glad you enjoyed the piece. Keep your eyes open for the next installment :)

The Secret Hole Of All Secrets The Secret Hole Of All Secrets

I didn't know this track o.o
Holy crap man. I surely missed a great one. And it's been almost two years.

It's like staring at the void, lost in a post-traumatic trance where depression is your only friend and suicidal thoughts narrow your way to the inevitable end. A brief respite, a glimpse of hope shining through the nightmare reality around you. Atonement or failure? You choose the epilogue. Your imagination distorts your sight, walls blurring, fading into blackness...